Epiphany in the closet! Some people get their best ideas in the shower, some taking a run or a walk. For me, it’s the closet. Here’s my latest: I was looking at a beautiful sweater that I own(ed). I have worn it a few times and it’s a great color for me. I even get compliments on it. But it just didn’t feel right. So I asked myself, “How do I feel when I wear it? …I feel DOWDY.” AGHHHHHH, that thing had to go, immediately.
Eureka! That’s when I came up with this little exercise to help you edit your wardrobe so that it works for who you are right now. No compromise, no shoulds or ought to’s, no guilt allowed. Here is the drill:
Go through your wardrobe piece by piece, including lingerie, workout gear and accessories and ask yourself this question:
When I wear this I ____________________ . Fill in your unedited reaction and prepare to be surprised. Here are some of my results.
When I wear this I …
- always have fun. (blue striped cotton shirt)
- want to take them off as fast as I can. (too tight jeans)
- feel hip and professional. (Navy blazer)
- feel like I’m trying too hard. (polyester print blouse)
- get a lot done. (favorite jeans)
- am cool. (sailor stripe long-sleeved T-shirt)
- feel fat. (Pants that have detail on the back pocket)
- feel dowdy. (this was the sweater that started it all)
- am confident. (Anne Klein grey green windowpane suit jacket)
When I finished I had a small pile of clothes that I hadn’t been wearing. I would put them on and take them off but didn’t know why. Now my closet holds only those items that I love right now and that make me look and feel great. Before, I had some things that I kept telling myself that I should like because they looked good on me but somehow I just didn’t want to wear them. I found out why and let them go. Yeah!
Florals have been and still are very popular. In doing this exercise I remembered I how much I love spots and stripes but prints, especially florals, not so much.
Have fun with this and let me hear some of your reactions.